Towards a Socially Scalable Etherean Future - video, slides, feedback

Here are the slides from my talk. They’re pretty visual and not very text heavy so they may not do a very good job of conveying the story on their own. It appears that the videos aren’t online yet. I’ll add a video link when I find it.

Would love any feedback on the talk, positive or constructive criticism!

Is "Etherean" the right name?

Video is available now: https://slideslive.ch/38911782

Finally got around to watching the presentation @lane, it’s really great. IMO, the social impacts and potential for new ways of organizing and collaborating, and increasing social scalability is the true value proposition offered by this tech.

My only criticism is on the concept of diversity and the question that came up on it - I don’t think I disagree with you in terms of a lot of diversity especially in areas like STEM and tech specifically goes back to a ton of early life socialization, but I think it’s slightly defeatist to say that it’s just going to take us a long time to get to meaningful diversity in the community. I think part of the benefit of framing some of the values of the tech like this (social development) and in other interdisciplinary ways (I saw an interesting thread today relating fungal biology to blockchain here: https://twitter.com/bquittem/status/1072864756296486913) can help us involve a much more diverse group of people giving diverse perspectives in the space and generating meaningful discussion. It definitely also involves a lot of changes to the ways we approach socialization as well, but to say that’s the only way of addressing it I think just gives us an easy pass to say “we’re not diverse enough yet, but someday we will be”. Instead I’d like to get to the point where we can say “diversity is increasing, and it’s because we are trying new things to get people involved from a variety of perspectives and underrepresented groups”.
Maybe that’s a bit of a low blow criticism, considering it was a question response and not part of the presentation, but honestly I just loved the presentation :wink:

Also, hadn’t seen slideslive before, it’s a slick little presentation publication tool! Will have to utilize that in the future… I’ve had a few presentation recordings that I thought were pretty much unusable because the slides weren’t easily readable in the video.

From my perspective there’s one significant group of excluded participants: Non-English speakers or people who are not proficient enough to actively participate in debates, only able to follow. Any idea if/how to include them?

@reuptake, I’ve heard that from others as well, they were speaking specifically about the availability of resources in Dutch. Unfortunately I really only speak English fluently, but I think it would be of great use to have translations and native content produced in other languages by those who speak more than one language.

I’ve seen some content published in other languages on Steemit, specifically Turkish. I also have to say that the discord chat for POW3D mostly publishes content in both English and Mandarin. So there definitely are some that are thinking about this. I agree though, if we want true global reach, we need to integrate multiple language support for at the very least, introductory docs… (if these exist, feel free to link :wink: ). And even better would be an effective bridge for multi-language discussion. Maybe I’m just being lazy and should learn another language… lol.

I found the ethhub github page through twitter the other day (https://github.com/ethhub-io/ethhub), where individuals were contributing to the CFTC response regarding the Ethereum system. I wonder if it would be useful to fork repo’s like this with additional language supports? Again, I say this while mostly being unable to execute myself, besides maybe using rough google translate for others to clean later.

(oh, and if you want to improve the CFTC response page, it’s here: https://github.com/ethhub-io/ethhub/blob/master/other/ethhub-cftc-response.md)

I also think Katherine Wu does some multi-language support, I’ve seen her at least comment on twitter offering translations (ex: https://twitter.com/katherineykwu/status/1069724711041552386)

Maybe we could fund the contracting of translators for some “essential” repo’s via a bonded token… maybe as a cause for something like…

I’m sure there are some bilingual folks that would get behind that work as a side hustle for some ETH or something similar, with a bonus of testing new mechanisms and getting some documents made more accessible…

I’ve definitely seen bounties offered for translations of tech docs. Orgs such as Ethereum Tokyo in Japan, and EthFans in China, have done a lot of work localizing content, and EF has supported some of this work. To the extent that blockchain can be a platform for a new gig economy (see, e.g., https://ethlance.com/) I think we should be able to come up with some pretty compelling incentivization models around translation and localization.

Yes, I’ve seen a lot of effort in translation of docs and similar tech documentation.

But my concern is that lot of people are excluded from discussions like this. I feel excluded too. I speak English quite well, although in my everyday life I’m not using it a lot and you can easily tell I’m not native speaker. I don’t need translated docs, I can read it well, I understand devcon talks if I pay some extra attention and so on.

And I have problem participating in forums like this which require even better command of written English and very broad vocabulary as topic we’re discussing are complicated. Many times I feel (even now) that I cannot express precisely whats on my mind, that things that I write are crude (probably not the best word), that it requires more effort from reader to understand my intentions and so on. Not mentioning the fact, that it takes me 3x more time to write in English and I’m still not satisfied with the results.

True participation is not when some elite discuss stuff and then translate some documents to other languages.

I don’t want to complain here and I don’t think that there’s easy solution. I just would like you to keep in mind, that some forms of participation (especially real time like telegram channels/slack/calls) are really hard for people who does not use English everyday.

BTW: I find it quite interesting that CFTC response was mentioned by @krisj.

I understand that the US is important country, but still it’s one of 200 countries of the world. And honestly I don’t feel entitled to engage with US agencies (Ethereum community in US is strong enough to take care of this task). World is US centric enough - that’s my personal opinion - and internet is US centric even more.

Maybe the day is not far off when automatic translation technology is good enough to allow us to listen to or even participate in calls and conferences happening in languages that were not proficient in.

It will probably be able to translate tech docs pretty easily, understand the spoken text on conferences. But I don’t believe it will enable people to engage in philosophical conversation about complex matters like governance and so on. Not in our life time.

Still, even it I cannot express fully myself as I would like to, it’s very enriching experience to be here, so thanks for launching this forum.

This is absolutely true - we need meaningful integration of a variety of viewpoints.

Do you think it would be useful/possible, at least for events that livestream, to have some translated streams? Although this may not greatly increase the facilitation of back and forth discussion, it may at least make some of the events more accessible? I know this doesn’t really help in the telegram/slack channels, but yeah. Just trying to think of some concrete ways to be more inclusive.

Also I mentioned the CFTC response as a document that has come together rather quickly through community involvement, and that the larger repo has a lot of general information that might be useful. Also, as an interesting aspect of the community’s interactions with traditional institutions, which could be done in similar respects for other country-specific agencies or institutions. However, I can agree with the idea that there is a lot of US focus in the space (I’m Canadian :wink: ).